i suspect that a lot of you would raise your hand if i asked the question, "Have you ever had a hard time falling asleep because your mind was racing?"
i've been there a thousand times and it still happens occasionally.
Tucking your unresolved emotions into bed with you makes for restless sleep because your body will try to work out those emotions in your dream state. Restless sleep isn't good for your health, will leave you feeling groggy the following day, and you'll still be carrying the unresolved emotion.
What does scripture have to say on the matter?
"In your anger do not sin": Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry.—Ephesians 4:26
The verse specifically says anger, but i believe that any emotion applies.
• Do not let the sun go down while you are still sad.
• Do not let the sun go down while you are still bitter.
• Do not let the sun go down while you are still frustrated.
• Do not let the sun go down while you are still afraid.
• Do not let the sun go down while you are still (fill in the blank) ________________.
Ideally, you want to go to sleep as peacefully as possible so that your rest is sound and so that the devil doesn't have a playground. How do you do that? Well, here are a few ways to clear your mind.
1. Pray. Prayer will get you immediate relief. Ask for forgiveness and lay the emotion at the foot of the cross. Rest while God calms your mind, body, and soul.
2. Write it down. Keep a journal and pen bedside for journaling your thoughts and emotions from the day. Writing them down gets them out of your head and on paper.
3. Meditate on positive affirmations.
Today, I choose to let go of (insert negative emotions) ______________________ because it weighs my heart down and blocks my healing and peacefulness. I replace (insert negative emotion) _____________________ with (insert positive emotions) _____________________________ (peace, love, hope, joy, forgiveness, etc.).
Find scripture that relates to the emotion and meditate on it.
Refuse to take your emotions to bed with you. Doing a bedtime emotional check promotes good sleep and a peaceful next day. Always find a way to let go of the negative and replace with something positive.
Lord, help us to end each day with gratitude and love. Some days are challenging, especially when i am highly emotional over something that was said or done to me. Encourage me to choose to be positive and to see the good so that i can rest well, leaving You to handle the rest. Amen.